Friday, November 24, 2017

Slugs

Today for lunch I sauteed some portobello mushrooms.  My daughter is now a vegetarian so I am trying to find things she will eat, as well as food the other two kiddos might try. Yes I am that kind of mom. My 6 year old declares vegetarianism and I support it.

Mushrooms seemed like a good option. I cut up a few chunks of mushroom and put it on each one of their plates. 

After my little boy finished eating his mac-n-cheese I tell him he needs to taste the other things on his plate before I get him more macaroni.

He looks at the mushroom. Pokes it a little. Scrunches up his face. Smells it. Examines it.

Then he asks in his little worried voice, green eyes wide, looking at me like "who is this women actually? Is she really my mother?"

Then he takes a small breath and says in a disbelieving voice "Mom, did you cook slugs?"

For real. 

He is really wanting to know if that is what I made.

Slugs. Slugs on his plate. Nicely cooked and seasoned for him to eat.

 I almost feel like shit over his thought process. In his mind, the things on his plate are so horrible and disgusting looking that they could literally be slugs, and he believes I would have him eat them. Good god.

Recently he decided he won't eat quinoa as he thinks they are little bugs. He doesn't want berries in his food because they also look like bugs. A different food he thought was ants. 

Poor little guy. I really can not imagine what it would be like to actually think my own mother would feed me tiny little critters and slugs. Damn, I would never eat if someone was cooking me up that shit. His sweet little soul, he still eats things.

But carefully. It might be slugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment